Windowscodecs.dll is a shared dynamic-link library (DLL) file stored in Microsoft Windows OS, including 32 bit and 64 bit operating system, which commonly located at “C:\Windows”\, C:\Program Files\, C:\Program Files\Common Files\, or C:\WINDOWS\system32”. Windowscodecs.dll, also described as Microsoft Windows Codecs Library, or WindowsCodecs, works for wincredprovider (wincredprovider.dll) and redbook.sys which is a Windows driver, allowing computer to communicate with hardware or connected devices. Serves as a Windows vital file, Windowscodecs.dll ships with Windowscodecs-ext.dll and wmphoto.dll in system and undertakes image data decoding and encoding as a central location. It is regularly used to execute software programs and maintain running properly.
Errors related to Windowscodecs.dll are usually occurred by misused system configuration or corrupted system files. Computer users may also get Windowscodecs.dll errors when computer’s registry overloads with too much data or certain system files are missing. Windowscodecs.dll acts as a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file that used by several applications, so Windowscodecs.dll errors may be activated when a certain program is started to run or close. An example of Windowscodecs.dll error is “c:\windows\system32\windowscodecs.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.”
Note: The following troubleshoot operation requires certain computer expertise. If you are not familiar with such processes, it is strongly recommended to ask help from VilmaTech Online Tech Experts to resolve your problem effectively.
System File Checker is a build-in utility existed in Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. It is available for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
1. Go to command prompt screen:
For Windows 8:
For Windows 7 & Vista:
2. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow command, and then press ENTER.
3. Then, the sfc /scannow command will start to have a scan all Windows system files and replace corrupted files with a cached copy, which is located at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
4. When it is done, restart PC to take effect.
Tips: If you have any problems during the operation, you may start a live chat with VilmaTech Online agents for real-time help.
Clean boot in system can help users to eliminate software conflicts and verify if any third party applications or start up items are causing Windowscodecs.dll errors again.
For Windows 8:
1. Login in PC with administrator accounts and go to Search menu.
2. Type msconfig in the search box.
3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable. And close the Task Manager.
6. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.
Tips: Cannot fix the problem by yourself? If so, you can contact VilmaTech Online agents to help you resolve problems easily.
For Windows 7 & Vista:
1. Login in PC with administrator account first.
2. Click msconfig.exe in the search box and go to System Configuration utility.
3. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. When it is done, click OK and Restart.
Though Windowscodecs.dll is an essential Windows system file, it still can be attacked and utilized by some malwares and transformed to be a virus infection. If users still cannot fix Windowscodecs.dll errors upon the operation above, users may install a standard antivirus application to have a full scan in order to detect and remove the infections related to Windowscodecs.dll. It is certain that a certified anti-malware application has the capability to safeguard computer from numerous malwares or Spyware. However, there is not a perfect antivirus application that can handle with all kinds of threats. In the technical area, new viruses are created by hacker day by day, which are updated with advanced attributes against antivirus software constantly. If the antivirus cannot help you to resolve your problem effectively, you may use the almighty manual approach to check and fix your problem completely. If you are not familiar with the operation and afraid of making mistake to bring worse damage, you may consider the recommended VilmaTech 24/7 Certified online services to assist you get rid of all troubles and infection perfectly.